The Blue Ox Patriot Brake has won Gold for 4 years running: 2018-2019-2020-2021
Attach the brake claw, plugin the power cord, push the setup button and go
The in-cab controller monitors the brake & allows manual input for braking response.
Electric, self-contained. Designed to make towing safe and easy.
No tank to drain, no pumps or hoses to connect.
- All electric
- Faster response braking time
- Works on all vehicles, including hybrids
- Super capacitor lifetime battery
- In-coach controller with extended RF range
- Automatically checks brake pressure during setup
- Continuously monitors brake pressure during towing
- Break-away included
- Two year warranty
- *Please note: Due to the floorpan configuration on the driver’s side of the Honda Fit, the Patriot 3 will not work with this vehicle.
Do I Need a Tow Brake?
In the United States, laws vary state by state with all states requiring tow brakes depending upon the weight of the towed vehicle or requiring mandatory stopping distances. For instance: Arizona requires a tow brake if the towed vehicle is 3,000 lbs. If you drive across the state line into California, a tow brake is required for towed vehicles weighing 1,500 lbs. Driving from California to Oregon again changes the dynamic. All vehicles towing a trailer or a towed vehicle in Oregon must stop within a specified distance. In Pennsylvania and North Dakota, tow brakes are required with no exceptions.
Canada requires tow brakes with no exceptions.
Having a supplemental tow brake installed helps prolong the brake life of the coach, if the coach brakes are doing all of the work to stop the combined vehicles, they brakes will wear prematurely. The coach will brake more easily and the stopping distance will not increase due to the increased weight of the towed vehicle.